This may be a busy season for you personally, professionally, and/or just a busy time of year – or this may be all of the above, and you feel like you are just treading water and are trying to get through it. I have a motto for these times, “I can NOT be all things to all people at all times,” and “I am just taking things moment by moment.” A busy season can require a Self-Care Mission to begin.
I am on a personal self-care journey as a facilitator, instructional designer, business owner/entrepreneur, speaker, and so much more! But that is just my professional side. We must take care of ourselves beyond all our roles to be good for all of those roles! [Two videos are shared towards the end of the blog.]
So, I thought I would share a list of options to pick from; start with one action for you! You are worth it!!! However, this list and resources are not advice; I am just sharing my list of what I am picking from – in no particular order. You may be a facilitator of everything in your life personally and/or professionally, so this topic can still apply.
- Physical Health and Wellness:
- Eating well and often enough
- Sleep routine improvement
- Getting outside each day
- Walk or activity each day
- Take a bath or shower
- Massage or other health care provider
- Compression socks for desk work
- Drinking lots of water
- Skincare routine
- Supplements or vitamins
- Seasonal Effective Light, or Sunrise light
- Connect with your doctor
- Mind, Body & Spirit
2. Mental and Emotional Well-being:
- Talk to your doctor!
- Positive Self-Talk and real talk
- Intentionally seek out something funny
- Boundaries in relationships and work
- Saying no without guilt
- Carving out ‘You Time’
- Journal, Meditate or Pray
- Lament, Grieve, Let go
- Avoiding gossip and negative talk
- Not watching distressing news
- Take a sick day when needed
- Clear off unnecessary tasks
- Lament, Grieve and give yourself time and space for this
- Don’t turn on the news if it makes you sad! Too much of it may not be healthy.
- Don’t gossip in the workplace or join in the negative talk.
- Reduce Stress
3. Social and Recreational Activities:
- Go dancing
- Go to the movies
- See a live theatre play, concert, or band
- Go to or join an online class (Yoga, Pilates, etc.)
- Learn a new skill (skating, playing piano, learning a language)
- Plan a vacation or a day out
- Do something creative
- Increase Fun
4. Work and Productivity:
- Blue-light glasses
- Put on a timer to limit mindless scrolling
- Unsubscribe from unhelpful or harmful social media channels
- Tidy up, de-clutter
- Make your bed
- Consider backup plans for practical needs
- Clear off what you don’t have to do from the schedule and calendar
- Boundaries, with accepting advice, judgement or emergency ‘asks’ that aren’t an emergency, just bad planning.
- Saying no sometimes and not feeling guilty about it.
- Self-care a priority in the schedule.
My New Instagram Channel with this focus: https://www.instagram.com/facilitatorcare/
What I have been adding to my self-care routine (and I looked into discounts for you, before I mentioned them):
Supplements (Affiliate Link): https://beautifulyu.com/?ref=PATRICIAREGIER Discounts with the code: TrishR
Skin Care (Affiliate Link): https://herbalfacefood.com/?afmc=TrishR Discounts with the code: TrishR
By the way, there are some bundles, and the discounts apply to your subscriptions or single orders if this is something you have already wanted to explore for yourself. These are only FYIs to get the best deals if these are actions you are taking for yourself. The discounts are often higher for subscriptions, and you can cancel any time – again, just for your information.
Additional resources and who I follow:
https://strategywithsteph.ca/ (Related to Burn-Out and prevention)
https://lesleycalvin.ca/ (Emotional Intelligence for Leaders)
My Self-Care Journey
I debated sharing the video above and even made it unlisted after I made it public last week. It’s vulnerable to share myself (and in bad lighting 😉 But if it helps someone, it’s worth it. I wish you all the best for your personal and professional self-care journey. Now, back to regular programming. 🙂
Hot Bonus Tip
- Your journey is your own, try what works for you.
UPCOMING VIDEOS & BLOGS: More Book Reviews, Hot Tech Trends in Learning and Development, Zoom Updates, MS Teams, More Learning Experience Design Tips, and more!
If you missed it: Highlights from I4PL and More; Are you losing learners? Shopping for a Course Authoring Platform? The Neurodiverse Workplace (Book Recap)
Turn your audience into participants!
Plus take our Learning Types Quiz
Patricia Regier, MEd is the Online Expert who’s built a career on the belief that training and online learning doesn’t have to be boring. As Owner of Regier Educational Services and with a Master of Adult Education, Patricia is known for making her audience feel empowered, engaged, courageous and confident. Her debut book and keynote, The Online Shift teaches newcomers to the online space and seasoned professionals alike how to optimize their online presence and maximize engagement. She’s tried, tested and refined using the latest behavioral science, research and psychology to make sure your next online experience is a hit!
To book Patricia as a speaker or consultant:
Please use the button above or email email@example.com